This article was first published on Silicon Republiccryptocurrency – Silicon Republic
On Wednesday (16 October), a 23-year-old South Korean man identified as Jong Woo Son was named by the US Department of Justice (DoJ) as the administrator of a website called Welcome to Video. The DoJ has described this website as the largest marketplace of child abuse videos on the dark web.
Around 337 other site users across the world have been arrested following the DoJ’s bust of the website, which was online from June 2015 to March 2018. According to authorities, at least one of these arrests has been made in Ireland.
Authorities from the US, Britain, South Korea and other countries said that they have rescued at least 23 victims of child sexual exploitation whose images were sold or exchanged on Welcome to Video.
Assistant attorney general Brian A Benczkowski of the DoJ said: “Dark net sites that profit from the sexual exploitation of children are among the most vile and reprehensible forms of criminal behaviour.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates that the Department of Justice remains firmly committed to working closely with our partners in South Korea and around the world to rescue child victims and bring to justice the perpetrators of these abhorrent crimes.”
De-anonymising bitcoin transactions
While the site was live on the dark web’s anonymous Tor network, it hosted almost 8TB of footage. The DoJ seized around 200,000 videos of children, toddlers and infants from the site, which were bought and sold using bitcoin. Users paid 0.03 bitcoin for download rights or earned credits by uploading new child-abuse material.
Don Fort, chief of IRS criminal investigations in the US said that the agency managed to trace the purchasers of exploitative images by de-anonymising Tor browsing data and cryptocurrency transactions.
Users on the site had been instructed to use unique email addresses for bitcoin transactions, and ...
To keep reading, please go to the original article at:
Silicon Republiccryptocurrency – Silicon Republic